Statue of LG

Once our group was complete, we visited Taipei 101, for the moment the tallest building in the world. Across the street is a poncy shopping center called New York, New York that's full of American chain stores (and MUJI). There's a ice cream eating statue of liberty out front.


Taipei 101

Taipei 101 is mostly an office building, but the first few levels are host to a mall, and there is an observation deck and exhibit hall on floors 97 and 98, or thereabouts.

Taipei 101 at night

The day was a gloomy one for the most part. I am told that eventually the clouds parted and the view of the city was good. I did not actually see the view as I was having a bad day and was in no mood to go up to the 97th floor.

Covered walkway

Instead, I contented myself with wandering around downstairs and taking some pictures of the building and surrounding area from outside.

Walkway

101 is connected to New York, New York by a covered walkway.

Taipei 101 at night

My camera battery died shortly after this picture was taken, on the walk to the book store down the street. I bought a couple of Taiwanese cookbooks at said store, then we returned to the apartment for a rest before heading to the night market.