The amazing thing about seeing Graceland is not the place itself, which is interesting in that all the parts not turned into museum rooms have been left much as they were in the 1970s, making it not only a time capsule of Elvis' mansion but of 1970s style as well. Nor is it being in the place where Elvis Presley spent most of his adult life. It's peoples' reactions to Graceland that are amazing. People line up to see it and they are visibly affected by it. Elvis' grave is surrounded by signs, collages, flowers and other tributes.

I have never been much of an Elvis fan. Honestly, it was a bigger deal to me when I was at Sun that it was the room where "I Walk the Line" was recorded than that Elvis first ten singles were cut there. Liz and I were married in Las Vegas by an Elvis impersonator, but that was reflected more our appreciation of Elvis' place in our culture than on our appreciation of his music.

However, that so many people are so affected by his music that they make pilgrimages to Memphis just to see the place where he lived his personal life, away from the crowds, with family and friends, more than anything, speaks to the great effect music has on us as as people. I'm still not quite sure what to make of it, but it affected me a lot more than I expected it would.


Elvis' music room.


Elvis' dining room television.



Elvis' 70s-tastic kitchen.



Elvis' television room.



Elvis' rec room.


Elvis' "jungle" room.


Elvis' cell phone.




Some of Elvis' gold records.


Elvis.